Thursday, March 14, 2013

Wild thing

“And Max, the king of all wild things, 
was lonely and wanted to be 
where someone loved him best of all.”
-- Maurice Sendak, Where the Wild Things Are

Self portrait 3-14-13
 
I am a monster
Leave me be
Don't let 'em dig too deep
You might just find the monster in me
The things I hide
These things inside
Don't let 'em dig too deep
You might just find the monster in me.
-- The Stolen Season, "Monster in Me"

We can all get a little monstrous from time to time.
Keep me fed, exercised, occupied and rested, and I'm a real gem.
Mess with the balance and I am likely to turn on you. Especially if you mess with my sleep. I'm like a beast with a sharp, sharp horn, and I will rip, tear, chew and gouge anyone who tries to get too close.
I am best left alone when I get like that. Trust me, it's better that way. 
There are fewer casualties.
Less bloodshed.
It will pass. Eventually I will work it out and come back around.
Sometimes, I just need to growl for a while.
Get it out of my system.
That's all. 

I don't necessarily like my monster self. But it exists. It doesn't do any good to deny that it is a very real part of me. Like many monsters, mine is a shy and frightened beast who lurks in the shadows and shuns the intrusion of others. But we have found ways to co-exist. Sometimes my monster even holds still long enough for me to take its picture.