Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Takin' it lying down

Street face 2-13-13
Winter in Cleveland is rough -- snow, salt, plow trucks. It takes some serious chutzpah to slog through it. You can't take a Cleveland winter lying down. Or can you?

I stepped over this little dude (literally) lying flat on his back next to the crosswalk on Euclid Avenue on the campus of Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, where I am currently in rehearsal for a play. I don't know who made him, who decided to place him there in a traffic lane, kitty-corner to the storm drain among the dropped cigarette butts. He is made of tape, I think.

Street face 2-13-13
I walked over him for a few days (every time I crossed Euclid to get to the Starbucks on the other side), and grew very fond of his anguished little face. I started crossing at that crosswalk on purpose, like a good luck ritual, just so I could see if he was still there. Hoping he was. Hoping nobody had peeled him from the tarmac. So far, he's still there. Pretty tenacious little dude.