Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Baby come back ... a love letter

“Fatigue is here, in my body, in my legs and eyes. 
That is what gets you in the end."
                                                                               -- Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Self portrait 4-9-13
"Sometimes you just gotta hope for the hope of having hope some day."
                                                                                                        -- Jeffery Thompson

Dear Sleep,

I miss you.
It's been so long, and I feel like we've drifted so far apart. But if the chasm hasn't grown too wide and deep, if there is still even the slimmest shred of a possibility of a tiny flicker of hope that we can somehow maybe repair the rift, then I am ready to make amends.
Our separation has been painful for me. 
If I have offended you in some way, I am sorry. 
If I have taken you for granted, please forgive me.
Living without you has been miserable. My days and nights are flooded with sweet memories and happy thoughts of you and how we used to be.  
We used to be so good together.
Can we please try again?
I promise I'll treat you better this time. 
I'll be nicer. 
I'll try harder.
I'll be prettier, taller, funnier ... whatever you need me to be.
Just please, please, come back.
I'll leave a light on for you.
Desperately,
Me