Friday, April 26, 2013

Don't be gruel

“I’m glad scrambled eggs don’t have lips, 
because when I’m grinning over a hearty breakfast, 
it would really freak me out to see my breakfast grinning back.”
                                  
                                    -- Jarod Kintz,
There are Two Typos of People in This World:
Those Who Can Edit and Those Who Can't    


Porridge face 4-26-13

 "Hurray', shouted Glokta. 'Porridge again!'
He looked over at the motionless Practical. 
'Porridge and honey, better than money, 
everything's funny, with porridge and honey!”

                                                                                      -- Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself

There's a saying that if you walk around carrying a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.
What if you walk around carrying a camera? Does everything start to look like a face?
It seems to hold true, because I see faces everywhere. 
I see faces in the wood grain of the bedroom door. 
I see faces in the texture of the carpet.
I see faces in the paint swirls in the faux-finish on my bathroom walls.
I saw this guy smiling back at me from my bowl of hot quinoa porridge. 
And since I do walk around carrying a camera, I did what I do.
He was there. So was I. It happened. We both liked it.
I think he's pretty cute.
I ate him anyway.
He was mushy.