Sunday, September 8, 2013

Hip to be square


 "The thing about boxes," I said, "is that you can open them up.
Even though they're completely boring on the outside, 
there might be something interesting inside."

-- Dan Wells, I am Not A Serial Killer



Self portrait 9-8-13


"The thoughts you loved to think about, 
the memories you wanted to hold up to the light
and view from every angle --
it suddenly seems a lot safer to lock them in a box, 
far from the light of day and throw away the key.
It's not an act of bitterness.
It's an act of self-preservation.
It's not always a bad idea to stay behind the window 
and look out at life instead, is it?"

-- Ally Condie, First Day



"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift."

-- Mary Oliver 


"Life in a box was unbearable
How did humans stand it?"

-- Patrick Jennings, We Can't All Be Rattlesnakes