Monday, September 16, 2013

Knockout


"It's no surprise to me
I am my own worst enemy
'Cause every now and then
I kick the living shit out of me."

                                                                                          -- Lit, "My Own Worst Enemy"


Self portrait 9-16-13


“Struggle is proof that you haven't been conquered, 
that you refuse to surrender, 
that victory is still possible, 
and that you're growing.”

-- Jon Walden

"Those who say life is knocking them down and giving them a tough time 
are usually the first to beat themselves up. Be on your own side.”

--Rasheed Ogunlary

“I will no longer mutilate and destroy myself 
in order to find a secret behind the ruins.”

-- Hermann Hesse


I have good news, and I have bad news.
The good news is, the sleep restructuring program is working, and it is working well.
The bad news is, it would be working even better if I didn't keep getting in my own way.

Why do I do that?

Why do I continue with behaviors and habits that I know have a direct negative effect on my progress?
Why can't I follow a few clear, simple rules?
Why can't I just do all the right stuff?
Why do I repeatedly sabotage my own hard work?
Why do I stand in my own way?
Why do I beat myself up when I fail, instead of picking myself up and trying to do better in the next round?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am my own worst enemy.
That's why I have the phrase "Don't let me get me" tattooed on the inside my left arm.
It's me vs. me in a no-holds-barred fight to the death.

Well, it ain't over 'til it's over.

Today is a new day. A new round.

Win, lose or draw, I will keep fighting.