Thursday, June 6, 2013

Night comes creeping

“Fading light means more than just the end of another day. 
Night is when terrible things emerge from their sleep and seek soft flesh and hot blood.”

-- Jim Butcher, Turn Coat 


 
Self portrait with spider 6-6-13


“The thought burrowed into her heart as darkness fell. 
It coiled in her guts as she wedged herself amongst the boughs of a tree to sleep.
And in the morning, it woke with her and clung to her back,
riding on her shoulders as she climbed down, hungry and exhausted from nightmares."

-- Paolo Bacigalupi, The Drowned Cities
 

 
Self portrait with spider (2) 6-6-13


“You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing. 
I wove my webs for you because I liked you. 
After all, what's a life, anyway? 
We're born, we live a little while, we die. 
A spider's life can't help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. 
By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle.
Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little of that.” 

-- E. B. White, Charlotte's Web