Thursday, June 13, 2013

All the colors I am inside


 “When you become the image of your own imagination, 
it's the most powerful thing you could ever do.”

-- RuPaul


Self portrait 6-13-13






 Colors

My skin is kind of sort of brownish
Pinkish yellowish white.
My eyes are grayish blueish green,
But I’m told they look orange in the night.
My hair is reddish blondish brown,
But it’s silver when it’s wet.
And all the colors I am inside
Have not been invented yet.

-- Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends


Self portrait 6-13-13


"Jack planned his new face.
He made one cheek and one eye-socket white, then he rubbed red over the other half of his face 
and slashed a black bar of charcoal across from right ear to left jaw. 
He looked in the pool for his reflection, but his breathing troubled the mirror.
'Samneric. Get me a coconut. An empty one.'
He knelt, holding the shell of water. 
A rounded patch of sunlight fell on his face and a brightness appeared 
in the depths of the water. 
He looked in astonishment, no longer at himself but at an awesome stranger."

-- William Golding, Lord of the Flies