Friday, January 18, 2013

Know thyself

I like cloning myself and then playing with multiple images of me to see how they interact with each other. It is very compelling and highly addictive. Sometimes I go all elaborate with sets/costumes and alter egos. Today's image is a very simple assemblage of me times two. I'm not a super social person, and I spend a lot of time with just myselves for companionship. Self portraits of multiple me(s) are one way I doggedly try to get to know me better.

The ancient Greek saying γνῶθι σεαυτόν means "know thyself." It has a couple of interpretations, but my favorite is that it's a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude. The multitude may be of the opinion that taking pictures of myself day in and day out is a less-than valid use of my time. The judgmental multitude can think whatever it wants to. But the judgmental multitude has no idea. And the judgmental multitude may kiss my ass.

Self portrait 1-18-13
If you have the time and want to learn more about the psychology of self portraits (and other portraiture), I highly recommend an extremely thorough and insightful website called Photographic Psychology: Image and Psyche written and photographed by psychology professor John Suler. Go to:  http://users.rider.edu/~suler/photopsy/clones.htm to see his masterful use of "clones" to illustrate psychological concepts.