Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Man of a thousand faces?


If anyone is tired of Joe's face, I'm sorry. But it's my blog and I'll post what I want to. Practicing self portrait continually teaches me how a face can change from day to day, and even moment to moment, to a point where separate portraits of the same face can look convincingly like portraits of different people. I think really honest portraiture teases out the multiple selves that dwell inside us all, selves that show themselves, if fleetingly, on the surface of our faces. Joe's face does not change. It is inanimate. It is fixed. Or so I thought. It turns out that even a static, molded plastic face has a capacity for expression and a changeability of personality. It is elusive, and that fascinates me. And if something is elusive and it fascinates me, I will continue trying to capture it in images. Bear with me.

Joe 1-8-13