Friday, August 30, 2013

Prescription strength



"Everything struggles to live.
Look at that tree growing up there out of that grating.
It gets no sun, and water only when it rains. 
It's growing out of sour earth.
And it's strong because its hard struggle to live
is making it strong."

-- Betty Smith, A Tree Grown in Brooklyn


Self portrait 8-30-13

"Existence never was originally meant to be 
that useless, blank, pale, slow-trailing thing 
it often becomes."

-- Charlotte Bronte, Shirley


"You'll be all right. You're strong. 
I know you'll be okay because I like you 
and you can't like someone who doesn't like themself. 
The people I fear for are the ones who I don't like 
because they hate themselves so much they won't let 
anyone else like them either. 
But I do like you. I'll miss you. 
And I know you'll be okay."  

-- Sarah Kane, 4.48 Psychosis