Monday, August 5, 2013

Smoke gets in your eyes


"Now laughing friends deride
Tears I cannot hide
Oh, so I smile and say
When a lovely flame dies
Smoke gets in your eyes."

-- The Platters, "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes"


Polymer clay mask with cigarette 8-5-13




"I'm going to put a mask on and scrawl my name across the face of the world,
build cities of gold, come back and stomp this place flat,
until even the bricks are just dust.
So you can just shut up. All of you. I'm going to move the world."

-- Austin Grossman, Soon I Will Be Invincible


"While you're out, will you stop by the party store and buy me a mustache?"

I said that. To my child.

I meant it.

I did need a new mustache, because I sacrificed my favorite one for this project.

I finally finished that mask I started a while back. (You can view it here: afaceaday2013.blogspot.com/2013/07/unfinished-business.html )

He isn't "supposed to be" anyone in particular.
I just made him up.
He can be whoever you want him to be.
This mask isn't particularly wearable, because it's kind of heavy. So it's actually more of a sculpture than a mask, but still. It's a mask.

Maybe I'll try a self portrait with it sometime.
Probably I'll try a self portrait with it sometime.
Definitely I'll try a self portrait with it sometime.

Maybe.