Thursday, November 14, 2013

Silly strings attached


"Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans.
It is lovely to be silly at the right moment."

-- Horace



Self portrait 11-14-13

"Silly string is not a nasal spray."

-- Bart Simpson



When I was a kid, for a long time I thought when my parents said "running errands" they were saying "running Erins." As in, "I was running Erins yesterday and ran into Mr. Whitehead." Or "I'll be home after I run a few Erins."

Who were these other Erins? And why were my parents spending so much time with them? And what was with all the running?

It's kind of like my brother in law who grew up thinking "making ends meet" was a recipe. As in "ends meat." So when he heard that someone "couldn't make ends me(a)t" it didn't mean they were struggling financially, it meant they lacked the necessary culinary skills or cut of beef. That kills me.

Anyways.

I was running errands yesterday and popped into Discount Drug Mart to pick up a few things I needed. I had a list:

Razors.
Bacon.
Tiger Balm.
M&Ms.
Shampoo.
Bubbles.

Oh, and two cans of Silly String.

OK, Silly String wasn't really on the list, but it was right there on the shelf below the bubbles, and clearly, I needed some. I didn't have any at home.

So.

I'm just glad I don't live in L.A., where the city council annually bans silly string for one day on Halloween.

Jeez. Relax your sphincters already.

I personally think these council members should run an Erin to their local  Drug Mart, buy some Silly String, and spray themselves with it to see how much fun it really is. Then they should go back to worrying about helping people who can't make ends meat.

It's called prioritizing, people.