Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Apple-y ever after


"You'd be surprised what poison is often hidden 
in the most beautiful camouflage."

-- Evelyn Klebert, Ghost Soldier

Barbie disguised as a crone with a poison apple 10-29-13


"I'm going to put death in all their food and watch them die."

-- Shirley Jackson, We Have Always Lived in the Castle



"The more hidden the venom, the more dangerous it is."

-- Marguerite de Valois


"Yes, but wait till you taste one, Dearie. 
Like to try one, hmmm? 
Go on. Go on, have a bite."

-- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs


Remember the shrunken apple head face from a few days ago? 

*click here in case you forgot, or missed it http://afaceaday2013.blogspot.com/2013/10/do-ripe-thing.html

Well, I've been letting it shrink some more, and today re-purposed it -- I popped on a little tuft of white hair, and turned one of my Barbies into a fairy-tale crone complete with a poison apple.

As you may already know, my Barbies all came to me from the thrift store, naked as newborns. So I make all of their clothes myself. In today's case, I made a babushka, woolen cloak, and a little burlap dress.

I also made the poison apple, from polymer clay. (The stuff is supposed to be non-toxic, but I wouldn't want to eat it.) 

So today's face is kind of "apples two ways." Like at a restaurant, where you'd get maybe a baked apple filled with apple chutney. Or perhaps apple-stuffed pork chops with a lovely applesauce gastrique. 

Except here you get a shrunken apple head and a poison clay apple. 

Because here at A Face A Day, we like you to get your money's worth.

It may not be as tantalizing as a pork chop, but still.