Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Ahhh-ctober!



"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."

-- L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables



Self portrait 10-1-13










"I think if human beings had genuine courage, they'd wear their costumes 
every day of the year, not just on Halloween. 
Wouldn't life be more interesting that way? 
And now that I think about it, why the heck don't they?
Who made the rule that everybody has to dress like sheep 364 days of the year? 
Think of all the people you'd meet if they were in costume every day. 
People would be so much easier to talk to -- like talking to dogs."

--Douglas Coupland, The Gum Thief



Maybe it's just me, but September seemed to last a long damn time.

October has been impatiently standing by the door checking its watch and jingling its keys for a while now, waiting for that other bitch to take the hint and hit the bricks.

But it's finally over, and I'm pretty excited.

It's no secret that I like to dress up in costumes and disguises all year 'round. I do it "for my art." At least that's what I use as my excuse. But in October, it's OK to dress up and wear disguises without any excuses at all.

That sounds pretty good to me.

I can pull out all the stops and let 'er rip. 

As I try to figure out what my actual Halloween costume is going to be, I think I'll try several out here on the blog and make it kind of a loosely themed "disguise a day" costume challenge nested inside the over-riding "A Face A Day" structure.

So I'm getting the greasepaint and the spirit gum ready.
I'm unpacking my masks, wigs and silly glasses.
Time to pick up some fake blood and vampire fangs.

Hey, October. What took you so long?