Thursday, October 24, 2013

Tough shit


"My mom used to say that I became 
a fighter and a scrapper and a tough guy 
to protect who I am at my core."

-- Vin Diesel

Self portrait 10-24-13


"If they didn't call you a tough guy, then what else would they call you?
Something worse than that?
I'm playing parts, and if they call you that, it's because I played the part right."

-- Ray Winstone


Self portrait (2) 10-24-13


"When major badasses greet each other in movies they don't say anything they just nod. 
The nod means 'I am a badass and I recognize that you too are a badass' 
but they don't say anything ... because it would mess up their vibe to explain."

-- Cassandra Clare, City of Bones


Self portrait (3) 10-24-13








"They don't know you're
secretly a badass?"

-- Rachel Caine, Fall of Night




Badass neck tattoo!



Two summers ago I learned how to ride a motorcycle. And then I bought one. Riding my motorcycle lets my inner tough guy out to play, it frees my inner badass like nothing else. 

So for today's self portrait "disguise," I let my inner tough guy show on my outside.

I wore a ponytail wig (even though you can't really see it), bummed some sunglasses  from my son,  trotted out my costume facial hair and got a sweet dagger neck tattoo for 50 cents out of the Drug Mart gumball machine.

Just for the record, the leather motorcycle jacket is mine. It's the one I actually wear it on my actual motorcycle. It is covered in bugs to prove it.

One of the coolest things about riding a motorcycle is when other motorcyclists give me a discreet little wave when we pass each other on the road. It's like a secret handshake, just a little drop of the clutch hand, often with a peace sign, that communicates, biker to biker, badass to badass, "I ride, you ride, ride on." 

I love that shit.