Thursday, October 31, 2013

More Polyjuice Potion, please



"Wizards don't all look alike."

-- Patricia Briggs, Dragon Bones



Self portrait 10-31-13

Hermione: 

"We should have taken the Polyjuice Potion."

Harry: 

"No. This is where I was born. 
I won't return as someone else."

-- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1


So, I got my hair cut.

And when I got home, before I put any gel or paste or wax or pomade in it, it was just sort of straight and fluffy.

I looked like a schoolboy.

So I slipped on my Harry Potter glasses and, well, sometimes you just have to go with the obvious.

Lucky for me, I own an actual Gryffindor tie (doesn't everyone? I also have a Gryffindor scarf and hat set. Don't judge me.)

I borrowed my husband's v-neck and the robe from his medical school graduation (God, if they only knew what it was being used for).

I made a magic wand out of a paintbrush, drew on a little lightning bolt scar and ...

Geminio! 

In case you don't know much about Harry Potter, Polyjuice Potion is a very complicated potion that allows the drinker to temporarily assume the form of someone else. Its taste varies depending on the person being turned into.  It has stuff like lacewing flies (stewed for 21 days), and leeches and knotgrass and bicorn horn and shredded Boomslang skin and fluxweed (only if picked at the full moon), as well as a bit of the person one wants to turn into (usually some of their hair).

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Time for A Face A Day recipe bonus!

If you need a quick idea for a Halloween party tonight, I found a recipe for Polyjuice Potion Jell-O shots (don't panic, it calls for pineapple vodka and sherbet, not leeches and hair) right here: Polyjuice Potion jell-o shots

Thanks to everyone (who am I kidding, thanks to anyone) who tuned in for all 31 days (or even one day) of "October-faced," my disguise-themed challenge-within-a-challenge.

Happy Deathly Hallows-ween!