Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Beautiful monster


"She's a monster, beautiful monster
Beautiful monster but I don't mind
And I need her, said I need her
Beautiful monster but I don't mind."

-- Ne-Yo, "Beautiful Monster"


Self portrait 10-9-13



"Sometimes I think there's a beast that lives inside me,
in the cavern that's where my heart should be,
and every now and then it fills every last inch of my skin ..."

-- Jodi Picoult, Handle With Care


Self portrait (2) 10-9-13



"We all have a Monster within;
the difference is in degree, not in kind."

-- Douglas Preston, The Monster of Florence


Self portrait (3) 10-9-13

The Monster:   You, make man ... like me?
Dr. Pretorius:      No. Woman ... friend for you.
The Monster:   Woman ... Friend ... Wife ...

-- The Bride of Frankenstein


My month-long "October-Faced" challenge-within-a-challenge has a dual purpose.

One is to celebrate the month of October by making it a special faces in disguise-themed project.

The other is to figure out what I'm going to be for Halloween.

I almost always dress up and stand at the end of our driveway to pass out candy to the neighborhood trick-or-treaters. Usually my boys dress up with me. Sam has been Michael Jackson in various iterations for several years. Leo has been wearing the same Cookie Monster costume since he was a little kid, which is hilarious now because he is over 6 feet tall and the thing fits him like a tiny, fuzzy, blue plush shrug with a Cookie Monster head on top. He wore it to Chipotle last year and got a free burrito.

I've been a bull rider, Elastigirl, Maid Marion (with my husband as a super-cute Robin Hood), a witch. The year I was a witch, my friend Maria brought her little grandsons by. The littlest one, who couldn't quite get his Ws in the right places, was scared of me and clung to Maria saying "I don't wike dat cwazy bitch." Of course, Maria encouraged his fledgling, accidental profanity. 

Maria: "Who is that, Ryan?" 

Ryan: "A bitch." 

Adorable.

Anyhoo.

This Bride of Frankenstein costume (well, makeup and wig so far) might be a front-runner. I still have a couple more ideas I want to explore. But this one is definitely in contention. Stay tuned.